Why go natural?The truth is your conventional laundry detergent most likely contains carcinogens! On average, toxic laundry detergent products emit 17 toxins that go unlisted on the label, and which can cause problems ranging from skin irritations to neurological damage to cancer. One of the most serious unlabeled offenders is 1,4 dioxane, a known carcinogen that has been linked to:
• Brain toxicity
• Impairment of the nervous system
• Liver disease
• Kidney disease
• Respiratory failure
• Immune malfunction
• Hormone disruption
Other dangerous substanceslike sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), ammonia, household bleach, nonylphenolethoxylate, phenols, and phosphates can instigate a host of other significanthealth problems once they penetrate your skin.
Here are some tips to minimise risk:
- Wear your clothes longer before washing them— 2 or 3 times, especially during cooler seasons when they’re barely soiled after one wearing.
- Use 100% non-toxic, biodegradable laundry products that are phosphate-free.
- Seek out plant-based enzymes and food-based detergents.
- Say no to bleach, dyes, fragrances, optical brighteners, and masking agents.
- Reduce the amount of detergent per load. Remember, the manufacturer’s goal is to sell as much product as possible. You might find your clothes get just as clean with half your usual amount of detergent.